Makovsky Sergey Konstantinovich

Name/Title : Makovsky Sergey Konstantinovich
Years : 1877 - 1962
Biography :
critic, publisher He was born on August 15 (27), 1877 in Saint Petersburg in family of the academician of painting Konstantin Yegorovich Makovsky (1839-1915). In 1896 he graduated from Gurevich's real college. In 1897 he began to study at the physical and mathematical faculty of the Petersburg University: after he began to work in the State chancellery. In university years he has close relationship with A.N. Benois' club and after publication of the first number of the literary and art magazine “World of art” (November, 1898), he came in the association developed around of it. He shared sights on aesthetics of “World of art”-followings, he visited their “Wednesdays” where Z. Gippius, D. Merezhkovsky, V. Rozanov and others were. In 1898 his first article “V.M. Vasnetsov and the Vladimir cathedral” was printed in the magazines “God's World”. In 1905 in Petersburg his “Assembly of verses” was published. In the 1900s he declared itself as the art critic, being printed in magazines “God's World”, “Magazine for all”, “Art”, “Country” and others. From 1906 to1908 he taught a general history of arts in the Imperial Arts Encouragement Society in Petersburg. In 1907 in cooperation with baron N.N. Vrangel, critic A.A. Trubnikov, critic V.A. Vereshchagin he founded the educational magazine “Old years” (it published in Petersburg from 1907 to 1917). In 1898 Makovsky managed the Russian department at an exhibition arranged by editorial offices of “Old years” in Petersburg. In 1909 he participated in the organization of “Salon” - the “Exhibition of painting, graphic arts, sculpture and architecture” in Petersburg in a museum and “Menshykov’s rooms” of the First military school, on which 600 works of Russian masters of the later ХIХth c. and the early ХХth centuries were presented. In 1910 Makovsky organized an exhibition of the “World of art” in Paris in a hall of Berngeym-younger and also was responsible for an art exposition of Russian department at the International exhibition in Brussels on behalf of the Petersburg Academy of Arts. In 1912 he arranged together with the French institute of Saint Petersburg under aegis of “Society of protection of monuments and olden time” an anniversary exhibition “Hundred years of the French painting (1812-1912)” where 900 exhibits from various assemblies were shown, domestic and foreign. “Pages of arts history” (SPb, 1906, 1909, 1913) were issued by Makovsky. From 1909 to 1918 in Saint Petersburg he issued monthly literary and art magazine “Apollo”. An exhibition of "Satyricon" and also “Hundred years of the French painting” were arranged by him. In 1909 the Art Word Adherents Society moved to the “Apollo's” editotial offices and Makovsky becomes the manager of the Society and one of six members of its presidium. In April, 1917he left from Petersburg to Crimea. In 1918 he was printed in the Yalta’s newspapers. In 1920 he came for a short while to Petrograd, he was convinced of destruction of his archive. After falling of Crimea he emigrated. Till 1925 he lived in Prague. Makovsky was published in various emigrant editions: “Will of Russia”, the “Notes of the observer”, “Russian idea”, the “Spindle”, “Splash lights”, the “Firebird”. In 1922 Makovsky's books “Silhouettes of Russian artists” (Prague), “Last results of painting” (Berlin), “Graphic arts by M.V. Dobuzhinsky” (co-author F.F. Notgaft, Berlin) were published. In 1924 he was involved as the expert on a folk art in organizing of an exhibition “Art and life of Carpathians Russia” in Prague. He collected exhibits for an exhibition in villages of Verhovina and Gutsulshchina. In 1925 he moved to Paris. From 1926 to 1932 he was one of editors (and the manager of Literary and art department) of the Parisian newspaper “Renascence” issued by oil industrialist A.O. Gukasov since a summer of 1925. After leaving the newspaper he published books of his verses: “Evening” (Paris, 1941), “Somnium breve” (Paris, 1948), “Year in manor” (Paris, 1949), the “Circle and shadows” (Paris, 1951), “On a terrestrial way” (Paris, 1953), “In a wood“ (Munich, 1956), “Still page” (Paris, 1957), “Requiem” (Paris, 1963). In 1945 he visited the Soviet ambassador in France A.E. Bogomolov. Later he promoted his meeting with I.A. Bunin. After war he participated in the publication of books.
Multimedia
0183.JPG
Images
0183.JPG