Lancere Yevgeny Yevgenyevich

Name/Title : Lancere Yevgeny Yevgenyevich
Years : 1875 - 1946
Biography :
artist, illustrator He was born on August 23 1875 (on old style) in Pavlovsk near Petersburg in family of sculptor Yevgeny Aleksandrovich Lancere and Ekaterina Nikolayevna (nee Benois), daughter of Professor of architecture Nikolay Leontyevich Benois. Secondary education he has received in 2nd Petersburg classical grammar school. Since the childhood he made drawings, he began regularly learned at School of the Society of encouragement of applied arts. From 1896 to the 1900s he was in Paris where he worked in private Academies of Zhyulyen and Kolarossy. The teachers were, as he considered, Albert Nikolayevich and Aleksandr Nikolayevich Benois, Tsionglincky, Lipkhart, A.L. Ober. Years of the Parisian education have passed in collaboration with the artists, subsequently they were in association the “World of art”: Benois, Somov, Ostroumova, Bakst, Ober, Kruglikova. In 1899 the book by Balabanova “Breton’s legends” was published with E.E. Lancere's illustrations and it was his first work as artist-illustrator. In 1900 after returning to Petersburg he took part as the graphic-illustrator in the magazine “World of art”. In 1906 and next years he worked with other art editions: the “Golden Fleece” and “Apollo”. In the 1900s and in the 1910s he worked in book graphic art, developed new receptions of an ornament of book page. He illustrated L. Andreyev's book “Tsar – starvation”, he realized a line of miniatures in A.N. Benois' book “Tsarskoye Selo” and in the “History of imperial hunting” by Kutepov. In 1906 he took part not only in design of satirical magazines “Bugaboo” and “Infernal mail” but he worked as member of edition and also he was registered as the publisher of “Infernal mail”. Simultaneously he was engaged in painting. In 1907 he wrote the panel for the Big Moscow hotel (sketch - in GRM), then - a panel for “Cafe де France” in Petersburg that made under the project of architect Tamanyan. In 1907 he travelled across Italy with his wife. In 1912 he has received a rank of academician of painting and in 1915 -.full member of the Academy of arts. In 1912 the pictures for caissons of a ceiling in a hall of house of Tarasovy on Spiridonovka, constructed by architect Zholtovsky, have been written. In 1914 he has received the order for design of the big plafond for the Kazan station in Moscow. The sketch has been carefully developed, but the plafond has not been carried out. In 1915 he has painted a plafond and tympanum of one of a hall of the Academy of arts in Petrograd, made out under the project of architect Shchuseva. In 1917 the decorated ceiling and a frieze according the order of architect Tamanyan for a boardroom of the Moscow-Kazan railway was painted. Because of revolutionary events painting has not been put on places. Then he wrote a panel for a private house in Petrograd. Many from the illustrations made in this period then were developed in independent pictures: “Entry of Empress Elizabeth in Tsarskoe Selo (Tsar's Village) ” in two variants - one was in Tretyakov’s gallery, another was in Girshman’s assembly; “Accession to the throne of Empress Elizaveta” was in two variants too, one of which - in Odessa. In 1912 the Goliks and Vimborg’s firm has ordered an illustration to “Khadzshy Murat” by L. Tolstoy. In the same year Lancere has made trip to Caucasus. He worked on illustrations of the book almost 4years, the bookwas printed only in 1916. This work promoted that from 1914 to 1915 E.E. Lancere was gone as the artist on the Caucasian front and has brought from this trip multitude of etudes. The work on the book resulted that in the end 1917 E.E. Lancere moved to Dagestan, and then in Tiflis. Some theatre works concern to the Petersburg period : sketches for ballet of Silviya were made, sketches for “Meysterzingers” were started, sketches for “Insidiousness and love” were started, however on different circumstances it have not been carried out. Also quite designed suits and scenery for the “Ancient Theatre”, for play of Yevreinov have not been carried out. But for performance the “Sheep source” by Lope de Vega it was made. From 1912 to 1915 E.E. Lancere was the head an art part of the Porcelain factory and Lapidary factory. For work at a factory he involved artists Chekhonin, Kuznetsov, Danko and others. Architectural-decorative works concerning to the Petersburg period: in 1902 together with Benois he executed projects of a dining room for the art-decorative enterprise over which I.E. Grabar supervised. From 1918 to1934 he lived on Caucasus. He was professor of the Tbilisi Academy of arts. In 1922 he went to Angra because of a call of plenipotentiary of RSFSR ; in 1927 - on business trip of Narkompros of Georgia - to Paris. In 1933 he has received a rank Honoured Arts Person of Georgian SSR. In 1933 he has painted a plafond of restaurant of the Kazan station in Moscow. In 1934 he received from Mossovet a living place and moved to Moscow. Since 1934 - professor in Academy of architecture. In 1937 he has written a plafond for restaurant “Moscow”. He worked for a palace of Councils. In 1943 E.E. Lancere was awarded the Stalin premium of the second degree. In August 1943 he was awarded the Labour Red Banner. In 1945 he was awarded with a rank “People’s artist of RSFSR” and awarded the second Labour Red Banner. In February 1946 he was awarded medal “For a honest work in Great Patriotic War”. He died in 1946.
Multimedia
Images